Thursday, July 14, 2011

What side are you on?


I realize there are two sides to all stories but in this case, I only know one.
English People in America, fought for independence, Won and I get to have several days of eating fried carbs without guilt and lots of fireworks and lets face it, who doesn't love fireworks. ( Hobbs that's who, poor puppy had to be in the basement in his crate with a blanket over him and a loud movie on)

So why my lack of British pride you wonder on such a holiday. Well I grew up in the great country of England with all its pleasantries and traditions. We are not huge on flag worship, unless it's some Royal Affair or of course the world cup but still, we have a loyal duty to the Queen and all things British. It is quite a multi cultural place and I had friends of all different backgrounds. I never could understand why one of my best friends, a Pakistani/Muslim, was allowed to wear trousers to school when the rest of us had to wear skirts or why my good buddy in junior school, raised Jehovahs Witness, was allowed to skip assembly, when I had to sit through it in total boredom.

Over the past decade or so I have watched the laws change to accommodate various religious preferences. One of the most ridiculous being that an already overworked nurse, had to turn the bed of a Muslim patient to face Mecca, wait for it, 5 times a day, for prayer!! Not a big deal in Utah but I would guess Pakistani/Muslim are the dominant immigrant in the UK.
I see this great nation trying to go the same way.



So why my racial rant? I am in no way racist at all (everyone says that I know but really I am not) I make my point to my fellow Brits now living in The beautiful free country of America.
It saddens me when I see one of my own refuse to stand to honor the flag or repeat the pledge of allegiance.
I chose to come here. I love it. My family and I benefit from our freedoms and liberties here.

I have said out loud to many an immigrant back home, if you don't like our ways, go back to your home. I feel the same here.

So there, you get to see a little of Natalie, Telling it how it is.
God Bless America, land that I love,
Home of the free and the Brave.

To all who serve for my freedom, including now, my brother in law, who left his wife and 5 young kids to serve in Afghanistan, I am grateful and I will continue to feel blessed in this land.

2 comments:

Marianne said...

I for one am SO glad you're here! And I love that picture of Midge--She looks really glad to see you!!

p.s. How's Curt doing these days?

Kristen and Co. said...

Well said, Nat.