Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Mood Boards

One of my favorite design blogs to follow is "Teal & Lime Interiors" http://interiors.tealandlime.com

The fabulous designer, Jackie Hernandez, caught my attention from a different blog, with her use of color in home decorating. She seemed to saturate a room with color without making the room appear trendy or child like. I love that. I am always drawn to the "back to college" sections in the big box cheapy stores but realize decorating entirely with plastic and  disposable items is not really an option. On the other hand, I get bored and like to change things around so I don't want to commit large chunks of change to my  favorite color of the moment. Jackie seems to make her spaces look like high end design, mixing classic shapes and quility fabrics with fun patterns and accessories.

Jackie's services are outlined on her blog but basically I filled out a bunch of questions about my needs and style preference, favorite colors to wear and budget then  she came back with a mood board,  all the sources to purchase the items within my budget, both local and online stores and then  ideas for some DIY projects to make the space really personal.

I am so pleased with the results. You all know I switch things up and have my own unique style but Jackie gave me a fresh set of eyes, some stores I have never considered before and a simple road map that made this make over very painless. ( Driving from store to store around here might be considered a road trip)
So here are some shots of my space.

These are the before pictures, after I had removed the previous lime green accessories.




I sent this image of a bunch of roses because it is my very favorite color of right now and my desire for the room was to add some spring and lighten it up. It seemed quite dark.
This is what I got back along with instructions on the where's and why's of placement etc.
I absolutely LOVE it.

I set to, picking most items in one day and ordering on line. 

I flipped the chair color around, using the coral for the great room and the peacock for the dinning room just because I thought the darker fabric was more practical in the dining room. My kids seem to still use furniture as a napkin.
The cool end table was on clearance :-) Score! It's something I would have never picked myself but is now one of my favorite things in the room.
I went with a higher backed, white leather chair than the ones suggested, as they were less expensive but I did love the ones on the board. I picked up these glass bowl vases for a buck fiddy each. I switched the table center piece color because I had switched the chairs, more coral needed and less teal.
Jackie had suggested replacing my black leather ottoman with a white coffee table but we use it as a footstool much more than a coffee table so I kept it and plan to cover it in a lighter, fluffy fabric. I got the end table version of the table and it is gorgeous. Yet again, IKEA is my friend and I built this sucker in 20 minutes. I swear I have reached master builder status at IKEA.
I also found this silver orb candle holder there. Jackie mentioned the use of reflective items to move light around. It does.

The rug is from Target! It's an indoor/outdoor rug which means I can take it outside and hose if off if it gets too dirty or I could just leave it out there when I'm sick of it :-) I like how much color and light it adds. The fabric on the wall was changed from my original lime green. Plus here's a distant glimpse at my new, custom built by Boyd, concrete mantle. It is so awesome. We have disliked our mantle from day one as it didn't match our home at all and always intended to change it but this gave us the push to get a new one. When I asked Boyd to build me a mantle for my birthday I thought it would be a wood block that he panted but oh no. I will share the details another time.
So there it is.
Mission accomplished.
Light, Bright, full of spring.

Go and check out Jackie's site. She has 100 mood boards for you to browse in all colors and for every room/area of your home. 


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I just stopped by your blog from Teal & Lime. The new room decor looks great. Very vibrant.

char

Marianne said...

You are amazing. My idea of redecorating is putting away all the clutter and running the vacuum!! (It adds a whole new life to a room, I swear!!)

It looks AWESOME. I love your style.